Westover Green Community School and Autism Centre is a large, busy primary school in the historic Somerset town of Bridgwater. We are near to the town centre and adjacent to the Bridgwater and Taunton Canal. Our school is organised across 14 classes - 2 classes for each year group from Reception (EYFS) to Year 6 and we have a 2 classroom specialist provision for 14 learners with a diagnosis of autism. We also have a well attended breakfast and after school club. Each September the school is closed for 3 INSET days as we are in the very heart of the famous Bridgwater Fair. Another highlight of local culture that we celebrate is the historic Bridgwater Guy Fawkes Carnival.
The school was most recently inspected by Ofsted in February 2022 and was rated as 'Good' in all areas. In 2017 the school chose to join the Clevedon Learning Trust (CLT). On March 1st 2023 we officially merged with the Futura Learning Partnership, a family of schools in the West of England region committed to offering a high-quality educational experience to all children and young people in our care. Additionally, where appropriate we work collaboratively with many other local schools in the local authority.
The school has always considered the importance of the development of the whole child and with that in mind the range of extended curriculum is impressive, including a residential trip in year 6, visits by theatre groups, visits to the theatre, local music and arts festivals and a wide range of sports activities.
The school premises include a specialist Autism Centre with bespoke sensory garden, a large field, copse, willow walk, bird hide and wildlife pond, so that although being an urban school, Westover children have the advantage of experiencing the outdoor environment on their doorstep. Always moving forward and looking to improve, we aspire to our motto “Opening the gates to learning.”
OUR LEARNING CHARTER
At Westover Green, we are committed to:
- providing a secure and safe environment in which our children can learn
- providing a balanced curriculum which develops and extends pupils’ learning ,through a range of experiences, both inside & outside school
- a comprehensive approach to teaching, recognising the need for children to understand their own emotions, before they can begin to actively learn.
- building our children’s self-esteem & self-worth, through mutual respect & understanding
- seeing our children growing in confidence and self-assurance and so we aim to engender a positive approach in our teaching to encourage these values
- Including everyone within the wider school community, especially parents/carers
- encouraging our children to become active, positive members of the community of Bridgwater & good citizens of the UK, Europe & the world.
- teaching our children about British culture and values, as well as global cultures, to encourage a respectful attitude to all who live in our world
Our particular aims are to:
- Help children learn and apply the skills needed to "get on" with other people by developing their emotional literacy
- Help children develop lively and enquiring minds
- Help children acquire knowledge and skills relevant to a fast changing world
- Help children use Literacy, Numeracy, Science and Information and Communications Technology skills effectively
- Instil respect for other cultures
- Help children understand the world in which they live
- Help children appreciate human achievement
OUR GOLDEN RULES
Always think about others
Speak politely and truthfully
Be kind and gentle
Go carefully and thoughtfully