At Westover Green we believe that a high-quality geography education should inspire in pupils a curiosity and fascination about the world and its people that will remain with them for the rest of their lives. Teaching should equip pupils with knowledge about diverse places, people, resources and natural and human environments, together with a deep understanding of the Earth’s key physical and human processes.
As pupils progress, their growing knowledge about the world should help them to deepen their understanding of the interaction between physical and human processes, and of the formation and use of landscapes and environments.
Geographical knowledge, understanding and skills provide the framework and approaches that explain how the Earth’s features at different scales are shaped, interconnected and change over time.
By the time a pupil leaves Westover Green he/she will be a Geographer who:
- Has a good understanding of their local area and can make links with other places in other countries.
- Has a good understanding of the world as a physical planet.
- Understands and appreciates the diversity and complexity of human Geography.
- Can read a map with ease and understanding and use a compass.
- Has a passion to explore and travel the world.
- Makes links between knowledge of the world and civilisation.